Monday, November 13, 2006

A little bit of bunting ...

I think I'm ready? For my first market, that is.

A friend yesterday asked me if I felt like I was studying for an exam. Yes! A perfect description. You study, write, re-write, have a day off here and there, cram and then you close your books and think to yourself, "Well, I've done all I can do and now I'm in the lap of the gods".

Sure, I planned to have everything for both markets made by the first market. I have a bit over two weeks between the two, but a lot on in those two weeks. So the organisational freak in me had everything made and just had me kicking back, on a deck chair, wine in hand ....

Alas, that is not to be. And I am now at the stage where all I really want to do is sew some clothes for my children. But that will have to wait.


I am very happy with how things have turned out. That comes in no small part to the kindness and generosity of this soul. My computer and design skills are a little on the shabby side. And I'm not talking shabby chic here. I knew the look and feel that I wanted for my logo, but just didn't have the expertise to go about creating it. Marianne stepped in and offered to help and hey presto! After a few trials, namely due to me changing my mind on colours, my logo was born. Nothing made this venture feel more real for me than opening an envelope and finding pages of postcards and labels that Marianne had printed out for me. Her help has been invaluable. A thousand thank you's Marianne.

With that, everything just seems to have come together (touch wood). I even found a basket to display my pencil rolls in, in the local hard rubbish collection! Hey, it was clean! It was sitting there! Re-use, recycle, I say!

I've made little price signs, ironed my calico for the table (I know, I'm sounding pathetic now), pinned on all my swing tags until my fingers were sore from those little brass safety pins, my neck hurts from sewing, sewing, sewing ....

But still something was missing. I laid everything out (as you do) and looked and then, it came to me!

A little bit of bunting.

For the front of the table.

Very quick bunting, mind you. Single sided, just cut. Not even edged with the pinking shears. Just cut and sewn on the gingham ribbon. The perfectionist in me says "shame on you". The stylist says "hey, looking good!".

I'm hoping that people will be gathered en mass around my table and the bunting will never see the light of day. However, if they are not, and I am sitting there, all on my own, while shoppers flock to the stall selling cheap imported Indonesian jewellery, at least my table will be looking pretty.

A little bit of bunting.

Sometimes that's all it takes to make a girl happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment